Thursday, July 21, 2005

File permissions

We're migrating from an old, dying file server to our new shiney NAS/SAN file servers. All of our departmental offices use that file server for their business files. The shared folder is a large, nasty collection of years of file creep and no good organization. They're working on fixing that, but decided to migrate it to the new server first and then clean it up.

I guess during the move last night, one of the admins made some recursive command that changed the file permissions/ownerships/something down through the mess of nested, nested, nested directories - each properly tweaked when they were setup with who can access what. Now, no one could access anything. Oops.

So, I've been doing restores for them all day of gigs of data, so they can look at how it was set, and set it back. I just heard that it was done (after a few hours of permission changing after the restores finally finished.)

I'm glad it wasn't me, and I could restore the data!

No comments: