Tuesday, August 16, 2005

In the library line

I was getting books from the library yesterday when the checkout line was getting very long. I was probably 8 back, and there 4-5 behind me -- too much for the two people working the desk. So, the kid leans under the counter and does something (I presume hit a doorbell, or a they're-robbing-the-bank switch,) and all of a sudden a swarm of people came out of the back area of the library. Suddenly, there was a 1:1 ratio of library workers to people waiting, and the line dissolved in no time, and then the library gnomes went back to their other duties. It took a total of maybe two minuts and everyone was on their way.

Normally, the ICBTJHs are because of stupid things, but I would really like to compliment the Champaign Public Library for having a system designed to keep me from waiting in line forever, and kudos to the kid who called for help. I wish grocery and department stores worked that way.

(Of course, if grocery and department stores worked like the library, I would already have the things I want on-hold at the front desk, and I only need to flash an ID and pick them up.) I find the Netflix model works well for books as well as movies.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Don't know if you'll find the same books in the UIUC library as in the local public one, but you can have those delivered to your office via campus mail. I do it all the time :-)