Tuesday, September 13, 2005

No right turns through a parking lot

In the "of course that just happened" category...

I decided to take a different route to work today, and drove up Kirby to 1st to Springfield. (CU is a grid, so there are like 20 different routes I can take to work, none of them really better or worse than any other.) Headed north at the red light at 1st and Springfield, there was a concrete truck, another car, and me. The car in front of me decided not to wait, and instead cut through the Mexi-mart's parking lot to take a right on Springfield. As he did, I chuckled. The light's not that long, and that's such a small parking lot it's obvious to everyone what you're doing.

I glanced back in the rear view mirror and noticed a university motorcycle cop right behind me. He saw it too. I did what any responsible citizen would do, and pulled up, giving him the option of going after the wiley lawbreaker. He did.

Then the light turned green.

So, I followed the legal way ... only to see the stunned cut-through-the-parking-lot-er freak out at the cherries behind him .... and turn south on second street.

Abusing the nearby parking lot to make a right turn at a red light might be forgiveable with a warning. But, turning the wrong way down a one way street when you're pulled over? That's priceless.

No comments: