Tuesday, November 08, 2005

Throttled survey

Campus/Chancellor sent out a MASSMAIL this morning regarding a survey about campus pedestrian safety. The survey is hosted by the WebTools office, which runs the UIUC website; I'm pretty confident in their abilities to run things. Their Survey tool is pretty neat, and allows anyone on campus to whip up a web based survey without having to know anything about web forms. This used to be something I had to do for our business office; now, we just send them to WebTools.

So it surprised me when the images in the survey didn't load. Because a few of the questions involve looking at images and answering questions, they're a critical part of the survey. When I looked at the properties of the broken image and visited it directly, I got this error:

Forbidden

Available bandwidth quota for this filesystem has been exceeded.
(/jcmedina/shared/ScanningTour)

Please, try again later.


So it's not a survey bug, but a NetFiles configuration tweak that is purposely throttled. I suppose that works fine for normal traffic, but breaks when you MASSMAIL a link to it out to 60k people who check their email first thing in the morning. Oops.

[ Edit 9:09am: They fixed it. I guess someone else noticed. ]

No comments: